SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#333109 - 11/02/11 01:41 PM Possible "end of public career" decision...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I just agreed to do 4 trips of a week duration each a year to Dubai for a government official who is also one of this country's largest horse breeders/racers. I've been there three times now; twice with a lifelong friend who passed away recently (did upright), and once by myself. No arrangers involved. About 1/3 are guitar instrumental only (no vocals),
1/3 are grand piano only (no vocals), and the rest are B-3, electric piano and guitar with a local drummer and/or bass player ( bass only with guitar-they like traditional left-handed bass with the B-3). the bass player will play adequate back-ground guitar (not great, but OK) with B-3 .These guys are Americans who work in the oil industry...pretty damn good players, too.

Then, there are lots of local events for the same client when he's here in Lexington. Been playing them for about 5 years, as the dinner act before national acts.

The problem is, this pretty much removes me from the active "first tier" music scene. Before he passed, I was concerned that my buddy wasn't getting any of the local jazz jobs. He was always available when I called.

That's because these 4 weeks pay more than A 6 piece 6 night a week house band would make in this market all year.

But, it's kind of an "all you eggs in one basket" kind of deal. I do have a small house job I can do at a restaurant whenever I'm available, but I would not be competing for the jazz jobs...something I dearly love. And I couldn't schedule things like Jazz Arts or Philharmonic performances far in advance, like one I'm doing next week...a tribute to Howard Roberts, or a fun one late last year, a night with Bill Haley and the Comets (with a full Philharmonic orchestra in tuxes...what a hoot!).

When you work the dining room in Dubai or a private party here, no-one ever talks to you or even looks your way (I'm an infidel). There could be one person at the table, or a dinner for 200. So much for the entertainment/feedback issue (I'm not much of an entertainer, anyway).

The creepy thing is, I knew the last two guys who played this gig for years until they died. This will probably be the last job I do before I pass!

Oh well, that wouldn't be a bad way to go. I'll wear a toe tag saying "ship back to Lexington, Kentucky when he croaks".

In my 55th year of playing for pay, I am really grateful for a "part-time" career (9 weeks total vacation from working at least 4 nights a week) that has been so personally gratifying.And I value the acquaintances I've met, including
everyone here.

And, at 66 years old, getting a shot like this is AWESOME!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/02/11 01:55 PM)

#333112 - 11/02/11 02:44 PM Re: Possible "end of public career" decision... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... sounds like an awesome opportunity ... my considerations would follow this line: "how long do I have to be away from the local scene before I am 'forgotten'?" ... "if the Dubai gig dries up for whatever reason after one year, will I be able to get back into the local scene - AND, will I want to?" ... "at what point will I feel that I have gigged enough - in Dubai or local - that I will just say "I quit" ?" ...
I wish you the best in your decision ...

BTW ... While you may not be able to commit to some of the bigger, more lucrative, more fun, local gigs, with your talent and your local connections, I can't see that you would have a difficult time 'filling in the calendar' in between the Dubai gigs ...

#333117 - 11/02/11 03:02 PM Re: Possible "end of public career" decision... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Tony, you are right on with your analysis. There is one more consideration. These guys are at the apex of the pecking order in the horse business, and there is lots of business for my day company from big horse operations, and their friends...way more dollars involved....film, electronic, photography, PR, etc. Traditionally, I've been pretty successful in converting music customers into day business customers. Part of that is because I specialize in the music and the gigs that attract entrepreneurs, government officials, business owners and others who are consumers of both my music and day product.

I've ego my fingers crossed. the little restaurant offering me the house gig will name the room for me. They want a New York style laid back jazz atmosphere, and i may be able to book others in the room when I'm gone.

Oh well, the choice is made. I'll have to just see what happens.

All my career, I've had to make choices like this. I once went to a little town 30 miles away for 9 months, and no one knew who I was when I returned. I turned down gigs with bands that are still, after 30 or more years, still recording and touring (what a dumb-ass).

I'm a little concerned, because I'm nowhere near retiring (provide I don't develop more serious physical conditions), and I want to compete with the best in the area as long as I can. I'm kind of the "go to" guy for top shelf society gigs, and couldn't continue to do that if I were out of town for about 6 weeks a year (counting travel time).

But, I've made my choice, partially because, at this stage in my life, I "ain't gonna starve", whatever I do.

Onward and upward"

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/02/11 03:16 PM)

#333179 - 11/04/11 04:16 PM Re: Possible "end of public career" decision... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Do I assume you are turning down the Dubai gigs ???

#333180 - 11/04/11 04:41 PM Re: Possible "end of public career" decision... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

No, Tony, I'm going to give them a try. I already do 25-30 gigs for them in Lexington a year, and they are my 3rd largest client for films, graphics, etc.

What I'm worried about is my largest client; an automobile manufacturer. I've been working with them since they located to a town about 20 miles from here, and are about 10 % of my day volume (plus playing jobs, including several 10 plus piece galas a year.

When these guys call, they want me on site right NOW...not tomorrow, next week, etc.

I'll always have the little jazz room we're setting up at a small but top rated restaurant (it'll be called RC's). I have always chosen the places i work to be able to entertain day clients and potential clients. This will work out fine.

And I'm working on having my son, who is involved in all production issues with the auto company take the lead in some small projects, now; maybe leading up to directing projects soon (I won't be working forever).

It's kinda like playing in two groups and hoping there isn't a conflict.

If there is the overseas work will have to disappear.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online